God and the Twilight Zone
This coming weekend, I will be in Lexington, Kentucky for the “God in the Dock” Apologetics Conference featuring Frank Turek. I am blessed to have been invited to this conference to display my book, “The 13th Demon: Altar of the Spiral Eye”. My book, as I have said in previous blog posts, centers around apologetic truth, or the truth of the science and evidence behind Christianity. One of the terms I use in the book, is “extra-dimensional” in describing God and the angels. I didn’t make this up. This aspect of God is well discussed in such sites as Reasons to Believe and Reasonable Faith. But, before I go into more detail on this issue, let’s look at some Bible verses:
Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the whole world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God. Psalms 90:2
God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. 1 Timothy 15b-16a
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. Colossians 1:15-17
He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, 2 Timothy 1:9
God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” Exodus 3:14
- “You ARE God” — Notice how this verse says that “before the mountains were born” with that past tense word “were” is followed by a present tense description of God. This implies God cannot be called a “was” but always is called an “is”. In other words, our conception of time does not fit God. We exist in a single dimension of forward moving time. For us there is always yesterday, today, and tomorrow. But, for God, time is something different from our concept. God moves through time like we move through air. He cannot be confined to yesterday. He exists. Period.
- “Lives in unapproachable light” — Einstein established that if anything in our three dimensional universe ever achieves the speed of light, it will be simultaneously at all points in the universe at all times in the universe at once! And, Einstein established, despite recent scientific experiments claim, that nothing can ever travel faster than the speed of light. The speed of light is “unapproachable”. I find that very interesting considering how many times God is associate with light throughout the Bible!
- “He is before all things” — Pretty clear. Jesus, as the incarnate being of God, is before all things. Notice the present tense again. God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit as our Triune God exists before and outside of everything in our universe. God is transcendent. God exists outside of our three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. Which He would HAVE to do if He created our universe and its four dimensions of space time.
- “Before the Beginning of time” — interesting that Stephen Hawking way back in the 1970’s won the Nobel Peace Prize for Science for establishing as a fact that when our universe came into existence, all of space and time began. Before that creation event, time did not exist. This verse describes that time had a beginning thousands of years before Hawking confirmed it!
- “I AM” is probably the best description of God in the Bible. God can’t say “I was” or “I will be” because for God, there is no confinement to time as we understand it. If man had made up God, how in the world would he have conceived of these extra-dimensional descriptions of God when those concepts were as foreign to ancient man as moon travel dynamics.
You see, science has established that the universe had a beginning and the entity that brought the universe into existence had to have existed outside and before the universe. In other words, had to be outside our dimensions, or extra-dimensional. Another word to describe that entity is “transcendent”. This is a term that only the God of the Bible can claim as true. God is truly the transcendent Creator of this entire Universe.